Innominata Mountain Club (Innominata) takes your privacy seriously. We are a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us and this privacy notice sets out how, why and for how long we will use your personal data, as well as who it is shared with. It also explains your legal rights as a data subject and how to exercise them.
What We Need From You
When you register as a member of Innominata Mountain Club (“the Club”) or renew your membership, we may ask you for some or all of the following personal information:
- Contact details – e.g. name, address, email address and phone number.
- Date of birth – for onward transmission to the British Mountaineering Council (BMC) for calculation of membership category.
- Payment details – bank account number, sort code, card details.
- Safety and emergency details – e.g. next of kin or other nominated emergency contact .
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need this may affect our ability to offer you our membership services and benefits.
Why We Need Your Personal Information – Legitimate Interest
We need to collect our members’ personal information so that we can manage your relationship with us. We may use our members’ personal information to:
- Provide you with core member services, including confirmation of membership, membership card, end of year renewal.
- Set up an online membership account enabling you to manage your membership and communication preferences.
- Organise club activities and manage risk and safety if you attend a meet on the hill or at a climbing wall.
- Register your membership with the British Mountaineering Council, to provide you with insurance cover, magazine subscription and other benefits they offer to members of clubs, including access to courses and competitions.
We also process our members’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- Provide you with news and updates about the activity of the Club, opportunities to get involved in Club meets, training, general meetings or other events.
- Raise awareness of the Club’s activities by capturing photos or videos which we may use for promotion purposes.
- Respond to and investigate your questions, comments, support needs, complaints, concerns or allegations.
- The website requires members to register using an email address, which is used only to identify the member when using the website and to allow them access to restricted pages.
Who We Share Your Personal Information With
- As a BMC affiliated club we will provide your name, contact details and date of birth to the BMC to administer your membership of the BMC including your combined liability insurance cover. The BMC will use your data to communicate with you about your membership. The BMC will contact you to invite you to create a ‘Member Profile’ which, amongst other things, allows you to set and amend your privacy settings.
- The BMC also provide our membership database. More information about how the BMC uses data can be found at www.thebmc.co.uk/privacy.
- In the event of an emergency we may need to provide your details and those of your next of kin or provided emergency contact details to the emergency services. We may also contact your emergency contact directly in the event of an emergency. Your emergency contact details will be used for no other purpose.
We will invite you to share your contact details with other members of the Club so that members have the opportunity to contact each other to e.g.
- Arrange activities directly with each other.
- Organise travel arrangements when attending Club activities.
Contact details are available through the Members Directory. You can choose to display or hide your contact details in the Privacy Tab of your Account page.
Members accessing these details must ensure that they use them only for Innominata Mountain Club communications and must not sell or pass on these details to anybody else.
Third Party Suppliers With Access to Members’ Personal Data
Innominata Mountain Club may use third party suppliers to provide services. These suppliers may process personal data on our behalf as “processors” and are subject to contractual conditions to only process that personal information under our instructions and protect it.
In the event that we share personal information with external third parties, we only share such information strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure recipients shall only process the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes.
- Event organisers including instructors and coaches receive details of participants.
- Webcollect: The Club uses Webcollect to organise Club events, including taking payment through another third party service, GoCardless. Members who choose to use these services must register separately with these websites and may need to provide them with personal data, which the Club will use only to administer Club events. This may include passing information to the individuals organising that event. The Club is not responsible for the accuracy of any personal data you may provide yourself to Webcollect or GoCardless.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
Your personal information is accessed by all members of the Club committee including the President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Secretary, Meets Secretary, Social Secretary, Climbing Secretary, Walks Secretary and Publicity Secretary only for the purposes set out above. It is stored by our Club as follows:
- Paper application forms are stored at the membership secretary’s home address.
- Electronic data is stored in password protected database.
- Personal data is manually input onto the BMC member services password-protected database and can be accessed only by the above mentioned committee members through a secure login to the BMC member services website. Access permissions are controlled by the Club Secretary.
- You can choose to display or hide your contact details in the Privacy Tab of your Account page with other members.
- Your contact details are shared in a Members Directory this will include, name, email address and telephone numbers. The Members Directory is accessible in the members only area of the Club website. Access to this section of the website is restricted through a password-protected login granted to members of the Club and managed by the membership secretary.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
We only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. Unless you ask us not to, we will review and delete your personal information where you have not renewed your membership with us for 3 years.
You Have A Right To:
- Change your communication preferences or restrict the processing of your personal data for specific purposes.
- Request that we correct your personal data if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Request that we delete your personal information. However the removal of some data may not be consistent with your remaining a member of the club, and your membership may be terminated.
- Access the personal data that we hold about you through a ‘subject access request’ by emailing the membership secretary.
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk